Monday, November 28, 2011

First Half Recap

I ran the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving morning (11.24.11) with Jessica. We did the Galloway Plan with 4:1 splits. I totally CRUSHED the first 10K. I pretty much felt like I could run the rest of the day; it was EPIC. Once we left Piedmont Park (7 miles exactly), that’s when the wheels fell off. It was ALL.UP.HILL. Very hard and very frustrating. I started walking sooner than 4, not able to run up all of the hills, but walking up half and then all of them. How did this happen? How was I on the top of the world at 10K and just a mile later feel so empty?

Fuel fail. Hill training fail. When I got home, I found two cliff shot blocks still in my spibelt. I was planning to eat 2 blocks at miles 4, 8 and 12. I did miles 4 and 6, but forgot at the 8-10 mark. I did grab two jellybean packets. I should have grabbed more. Next time I will learn how to read the course elevation map (Atlanta Half Marathon Elevation), I will train with appropriate hills, I will change my fuel plan based on that elevation. I should have eaten my shot blocks at 3, 6, 9 & 12 while eating their jellybeans in between as needed. MORE FUEL. I will also start training on the hills. I was never able to run up a hill during training. I will make the hill on Old Canton my bitch. I will run ALL.THE.WAY.UP.IT!

I will also repeat the Galloway Half Training Plan regularly. I think that as my body gets used to running these longer distances, I will CRUSH my next half just like I crushed the first 10K of this race.

My unofficial time for my first half is 2:33:21. I was thinking it would take around 2:24:08. I placed 7072 overall, 3296 among females and 505 in the women’s age 30-34.

My goal was to finish this race and I did. Next time I will finish in less than 2:30, I’d like to finish around 2:17. Next time, I will conquer those hills. Next time I will have better race day photos. Next time I will remember that I am GBA!!!

I will finish this race recap with an email from my running hero and friend G:

First off - Congratulations again Carrie.

Yup. I have So been where you are.

Last year I remember writing my marathon race recap and thinking IT WAS THE PERFECT DAY. 2 days later I emailed my coach and was all about, "how can I do this better?"

Then I went out and did a PERFECT 10 miler using my new and improved marathon strategy as suggested by coach. I mean, perfect. Like, EPIC. At the finish line I thought to myself, THAT WAS PERFECT. Negative splits and everything... and then, a few hours into my drive home from the race I started thinking, "I went out too slow... I could have run that race 15-20 seconds faster".

It's so funny, isn't it. We train, we crush it, and then... then... we look for ways to make it better. THAT is what makes you GBA. THAT is the difference between being an athlete versus a woman who runs sometimes and does a race every now and then.

The first big race is a learning experience. Write it all down. Not only are you going to improve, the more you can get out of this year's experience means you're likely to improve exponentially.

As you write it, put special emphasis on where you nailed it, how you feel you succeeded. This is just as important as the other stuff.

And pay attention to those parts of the race where you think you could have improved. How could you have improved? What specifically makes you feel that way?

And here's the last thing I want to remind you. A half marathon is 13.1 miles. That's not HALF OF ANYTHING. That is a WHOLE RACE. A race worth celebrating and savoring. So when you start to question your awesomeness, stop the madness by reminding yourself, YOU DID THAT. And when you start to doubt the greatness of your race, smile a little to yourself and think, "yeah, I'm pretty much a 'love sick crack head'...."

Also, it will be about 2 weeks post race until your muscles will be healed and fully recovered, as long as you keep light mileage and low intensity. So while I'm not suggesting a tempo run, maybe some light running with no training plan, just running for the sake of running will remind you of how much you rocked on race day.

take care,

THAT (other) girl,

g.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey G!

I hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving! Mine was great! Two post 13.1 St. Germaine cocktails and a slice of tiramisu and I passed out on the couch!

I remember your post about THAT girl, the one who badmouths you... you! That post describes me! I haven't slipped into a post half depression, but I find myself constantly replaying the race in my head. I am finding where I "messed up". Where I "didn't go strong enough". Where I "let the hills kick my ass". I can honestly say that during the race, I gave it all I had, but I am now questioning that and wishing I had pushed harder. Do you ever struggle with this? Why can't I be proud of myself for what I accomplished? I am already planning my training method for next year so I can make those hills my bitch! Is this the antithesis to the taper?

Trying to savor the 13.1 accomplishment but letting the personal criticism get the better of me,

-c-

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is a day you will never ever forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the half! The Thanksgiving Half will always be special to me because it was my first half back in 2007. It was the old route all the way up Peachtree back then and was a lot smaller race. I ran it again in 2010. Just start your hill training anytime you plan on doing ANY race in downtown Atlanta LOL. The Publix half in March is hilly as well. Actually any race that is not on the Silver Comet Trail is probably going to be hilly!

    ReplyDelete