Friday, November 2, 2012

Cold weather running and chia seeds


Cold weather running does me some good! I set a 5k PR yesterday and I wasn’t even trying. As I started, my legs felt heavy and stiff. It was 45 degrees and I felt slower than dirt. When the first mile chimed on my garmin I looked down and saw 8:03. No freaking way!!! I couldn’t believe that. I wasn’t even trying and kicked my MM time out of the water. I then decided to see if I could keep the pace. My second mile was 8:23. My third mile slowed down to 10:01, not sure what that was about since I felt like I was keeping a steady pace. My .1 was at 8:58 pace. I completed 5K in 27:28. That is fast, like wicked fast for me!

Since I finished my normal route in less than 30 minutes, I decided to save the PR (I love seeing PRs online when I upload my Garmin). I re-set my watch and decided to run for two more miles. I was slower, 9:44 and 10:38- more like my normal times. I kept thinking that if I had fueled properly, would I have kept sub 9 times for the whole 5 miles? Who cares, yesterday’s run was glorious!

I was watching Dr. Oz the other day and saw that he recommended 2 Tablespoons of chia seeds in 8 ounces of water. I have heard far and wide the benefits of chia seeds and have been incredibly proud of hubby for losing 29 pounds in two months. I decided to take the plunge and buy some chia. My first consumption was per Dr. Oz’ suggested route and they were horrible. I had them again this morning in my smoothie and it was fabulous! I threw in some brewer’s yeast, flax seed, coconut oil and chia seeds to my cherry, banana, Greek yogurt, and chocolate soy smoothie. I was so full I was almost uncomfortable.

Tomorrow is intervals. Here’s to hoping my legs can handle them.

It’s a great day for running!!

1 comment:

  1. That is a FANTASTIC 5k time! I got excited for you just reading! Congrats :D

    I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete