Monday, August 19, 2013

Evening Running


Due to a change in hubby’s work schedule, I will now be running my 30 minute runs in the evening after he gets home from work and can watch the boys. I wasn’t too happy when I found this out. I’m a morning runner, not an evening runner. Last night was my first attempt. I started at 6:30. The temperature was 81 degrees feels like 86 degrees with 76% humidity. It has been a tad cooler this week, waiting for 92-L to hit. Incidentally, it bypassed us completely and went to Atlanta.

I ate dinner at 5:00 with the boys. Hubby got home and I headed out immediately. I was surprised at my quicker than normal pace. I thought that I would burn up quickly and then crash. I didn’t. I set a new 5k PR since moving to NOLA! I guess it was the fact that I had eaten before this run? I don’t normally eat before running in the morning. About a mile in, I realized that running in the evening isn’t as bad as I had made it out to be. I could hear the metallic rhythm of the cicadas in the trees. They are MUCH louder here than the ATL! I could smell people grilling their dinners. There were so many people out and about in the streets and their yards. I’m used to the hotbox combination of sewer and pot combined with dead streets at 6:00 am. This was much different, almost pleasant. I even found a quarter in my last mile home! We’ll see on my next evening run if this was a one-time experience or if I’m going to look forward to my evening runs.

Next up is 7.5 miles on Wednesday. My Nathan Intensity 2L race vest has arrived, so I know I will stay hydrated. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

It’s a great day for running y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment