Friday, September 21, 2012

6x800s: Not for the faint of heart


Yesterday I had speed work on tap: 6x800. I definitely wasn’t feeling it. All week I’ve been crawling back into bed after putting the boys on the bus and sleeping for two hours. That is NOT me. Overtraining? Possibly. Exhausted? Yup. N has been waking up each night between the hours of 11-4, coming into my room, waking me up so he can use my bathroom and then I have to walk him back to bed. Some nights, this happens twice. I’m an 8+ hours a night kind of girl and do not function well with less sleep. Thank you N for disrupting that! I know that this too shall pass, but it is starting to take its toll on me.

With said lack of sleep, I did not feel like doing intervals yesterday. I was tired. My legs were heavy. Should I just attempt three miles and negative split them? That’s speed work too. Nope. Only a slacker would wimp out like that. I forced myself to get out there, start slow and not crash and burn. You know what? It worked. I’m still not as fast as I’d like to be. But my splits were pretty decent. I’m keeping a steady 8:30 or faster pace during those intervals and that is a fast pace for me! It felt so good to be done. I love that feeling of accomplishment when you finish an exceptionally hard workout. Yea, that’s how I felt afterwards.

I guess the lesson from this all is, if it doesn’t kill you it will only make you stronger and hopefully faster!

Happy Running Y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment