Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Confessions of an arthritic, asthmatic runner


Yes, you read that right. Arthritic. And I’m as bitter as all get out. Lately, I’ve been running. Nothing blog worthy, just building my base so I can start my training plan on 08/24 and be able to run 8 miles on 08/29. Or so I hoped. I hit a solid 5 miles a week and a half ago. Last week I cut back and did a 2 mile tempo run last Saturday. I decided to listen to my body and sleep in and then push myself as fast as I could for two miles. It was hard. My first mile was 9:15, which is quick for me in the Atlanta heat and humidity. The second mile I had to take two walk breaks thanks to my exercise induced asthma. Why does every single car that passes me smell like an ashtray? Later that day, I returned a friend’s generator. She helped me lift it out of the back of my car. Stupid decision. By Saturday night, I could barely walk without crying out in pain. I spent all day Sunday on the couch with the heating pad hopped up on 9 year old Vicoprofen (thank you wisdom teeth surgery). By Monday, I was laying in the fetal position and holding my breath from the pain. A tight, sore back is one thing, but the pain in my left hip was excruciating. I broke down and went to Urgent Care. They gave me a shot of ibuprofen in the butt, and did an x-ray. I asked the tech if I had a fractured hip. My fear was that I had pulled a SUAR and was going to spend months on end in crutches. He said no. Phew. He said that I had degeneration in my left hip. I said, arthritis? He said yes and that the doctor could read the x-ray better than him. Crap.

The doc came in and asked me if I had an old hip injury. Nope. Just overcompensation in the high school weight room. Somebody had to keep up with the football players. Double Crap. He sent me home with muscle relaxer, pain meds and a steroid for my arthritis. He recommended that I start exploring my cross-training options. I was hoping to learn how to swim (that’s correct, I don’t know how to swim properly) and how to ride an adult bike with clips. I just thought I could focus on my running right now since I already own a pair of running shoes.

My lower back is still tight. My hip still hurts. I’m icing four times a day. I am crabby as all get out. My apologies to hubby and my boys. Especially my boys. I try to not rip their heads off, but Momma can’t run. Momma needs to run. I’m bitter.

New plan for my Thanksgiving Day Half. Since I want to run for the rest of my life, it is best if I focus on just crossing the finish line, not worry about my time. I love to run and I want to run for as long as possible. I will check out the Galloway Plan and see if I can incorporate some hill work. That course is lousy with hills. I can easily run the 15k on 1/13/13. What’s 15k? I will try the TLAM plan for my St Patty’s Day Half. I guess I will wait and see how the ATL ½ goes and then decide if my body is up to the “finish it” plan or the “own it” plan. Maybe I will bag both and stick with the Galloway Plan. I did notice last year how much my body loves the run walk program. It’s not about speed, it’s about distance. That is my new mantra.

Regardless of my pain, my mood and my arthritis, it’s still a great day for running!!!

Happy running y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment