Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Run on


It’s the last week of summer. Hip Hip Hooray! This has been by far the longest summer of my life. I’m not sure if it was due to the incredibly hot summer we’ve had here in HOTlanta, the ever decreasing size of our house (the boys get bigger, the house gets smaller) or the fact that I had freedom last school year and have been the constant 24/7 caregiver to the boys after said freedom. Maybe it’s the fact that I have struggled with injuries all summer and haven’t gotten into my running groove. I blame the latter. With my run, I can handle anything. My run makes me feel like superwoman and I like it. Correction: I love it!

Yesterday, I was in great need of a mood stabilizer. Not running for a week, hip and back pain combined with two busy little boys at home all the time has taken its toll on me. Hubby was off and by 12:30 I asked him if he minded that I sneak out for a run. I was going to wait until after my Ortho appointment today, but I needed my run like an addict needs their fix. I threw on a skirt, my fuel belt and my iPod and went for a slow 2 miles. It was fabulous. It was glorious. It was heaven! I haven’t run with music since spring break and it was nice to rock out to Led while pounding out my frustration with my asics. Life is good! I can’t think of a better mood stabilizer than running. It kicked my mood and turned my day around.

Today I had a follow up with an Ortho. This was my first visit with this specific Dr and I love him! I have seen one other Dr from this practice and I left wanting to take a shower and go to therapy. Today’s Dr. was the exact opposite. He was attentive, focused, able to block out my screaming boys having a slap contest AND did not suck on his finger while deciding on a plan of action. Win, win, win, WIN!!! I do not have arthritis in my left hip. I have mild but normal degeneration in my lower spine. He said that my spine and hip look healthy and normal! He feels that some physical therapy working on my core will help out with my weak back. YES! Core focused PT will strengthen my back. I am really excited to get my butt kicked and hopefully come out with that six-pack I had in high school. I am excited to see how this PT will improve my running! I am excited to see how this PT will keep my back from aching!

I will call around and find a PT that can take me starting next week. The boys go back to school on Monday, my independence day. (Please don’t misunderstand me. I love my boys with all of my heart; they are very active and busy boys who benefit from the structure of school and time away from Mommy.) I am looking forward to getting back on a schedule. My half marathon training starts this Friday. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

It’s a great day for running!


No comments:

Post a Comment