Friday, June 29, 2012

Oh those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer


June has been a rough running month for me. Adjusting to a new schedule with the boys home, I realize just how rough hubby’s work schedule is. I feel like I did five years ago with a toddler and a preschooler at home all.the.time.

Hubby took a week off from the 11th – 15th for Cub Scout Day Camp. The theme was Pirates of the CUBribbean. It was a BLAST! Don’t get me wrong, it was exhausting beyond belief, but it was a blast. I was a Bear den leader to seven 8-year old little boys. Hubby was a Tiger Adult with N. Every day I came home smelly and sweaty. I can’t wait for next year’s space theme.

Baby brother was here from June 1st – June 16th. I was able to run with him and he pushed me to faster speeds. He may be my baby brother, but he towers over me and can run circles around me! We also had a close family friend visiting from London, she and baby brother did all sorts of sightseeing while we were at day camp. She left on June 20th. I discovered while having houseguests that my mommy guilt  extends into houseguest guilt. I really need to work on that.

I just finished reading Run Like A Mother How To Get Moving- and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity as well as Train Like A Mother How To Get Across Any Finish Line- and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity both written by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea. I love these books! I am inspired to use their Half Marathon:Own It training plan for my two upcoming halfs!

Yes, you heard me right. I will be running two half marathons! I have already signed up for the Publix GA ½ on March 17, 2013 and will be signing up for the Atlanta ½  on Thanksgiving Day next month. The ATL Half is my debut half you can read my race report here. Part of me wonders if I can successfully complete this training program, only because any time I pull away from the Galloway run/walk method, I get injured. Only time will tell.

Talk about being injured, I was doing box steps last week on the back porch. I had my two-pound weights in my hands and I managed to bruise both of my arches. OUCH! I was cross training due to the fact that it’s summer, hubby is at work and I’m home with the boys. I really wish I had a treadmill. That being said, I’ve had to stop running (adding to the worst mileage month of the year!), ice and advil. Thankfully, I’ve been taking Ibuprofen 800 due to some ruptured cysts, so not all is wasted- I wouldn’t be running right now even if my arches were not bruised. How is that for multi-tasking? We’re supposed to hit 100 degrees here in the ATL, all.weekend.long. I’m hiding out in this bear cave hoping to get back to my core exercises if I’m not too sore. I will put my lunges on the back burner until my arches heal.

Hoping you all are getting out there and getting some miles in for me, since I’m laid up. Savor every step and be glad that today, like every day, is a great day for running!

Happy Running Y’all!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love those books also!! I am sure you will do great in both of your half marathons!

    ReplyDelete