Friday, October 12, 2012

Me, a serious runner?


Today helping out at the 3rd grade Greek Festival (which was a blast), I had another mom ask me if I was “The Serious Runner”. I laughed and said I wouldn’t call myself serious. She then told me that she runs with another mom (Hi ST if you’re reading!! I hope you’re feeling better real soon and I know you’ll kick some asphalt on your race next week!!) who has mentioned me and also mentioned my blog. I had to laugh. I have never considered myself a real runner. I may run half marathons but I’m not fast. I have to do the Galloway program because my body can’t handle running more than three miles without walking or I get injured. I have exercise-induced asthma. Did I mention that I’m slow? I’m slower than molasses in January! How can I be a serious runner?

To me, a serious runner is Kara, Shalane, Dean, Bart, Meb, not me, definitely not me. Standing at the bus stop this afternoon I started to wonder if I am holding myself back? If I see myself as a serious runner, does that make me a serious runner? Possibly. If personal finance is 80% behavior and 20% knowledge. Does that apply here? If my behavior says I’m a serious runner, then why don’t I believe myself? Deep, deep thoughts for a Friday afternoon.

After spending all day Tuesday and Wednesday in bed, I had the energy to take a shower yesterday. Today I helped out all day at the school. I am now finding myself pacing about the house. I know I’m ready to start running when the pacing starts. Tomorrow I’ll squeeze in 45 minutes with some hills. Rest on Sunday. Monday I tackle 13.1. Can’t wait to see how it goes. I was hoping to use this distance to judge how my race will go. Now I’m not sure what to expect after getting sick this week. Only time will tell.

It’s a great day for running. Happy running y’all!

2 comments:

  1. you are a runner, a serious runner! You might not be the best runner in the world but that doesnt make you a serious runner, girl you rock, you need to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!!!!! ;-) I never imagined myself as a serious runner, just a slow runner. I didn't realize that someone else might view me as that!!

      Delete