Monday, October 15, 2012

No more excuses, I’m just slow


Today I ran 13.1. I ran 13.1 and got a PR: 2:29:09. When I started running this morning it was 65 degrees and 100% humidity. By the fourth mile, the sun came out and started melting the sidewalks. When I finished, it was 72 degrees. I know, I know, I always make excuses for how slow my pace is. Today, it was the heat and humidity. It gets me every.single.time. I was dehydrated by mile 7 and had to loop back to the house at 9.5 miles to get more water and a cold paper towel to keep around my neck. Besides the heat and humidity, I am not even a week out of the feverish flu and am in the throes of a head cold. Excuses, excuses. I’d love to say that I’m a Speedy Gonzales. I dream of running 13.1 in 2:17. Someday.

I’m tired of making excuses for my slow self. It is what it is I run slow. BUT today, I PRd and was able to run 13.1 in under 2:30 and that is a BIG deal in my book! I looked at my splits and noticed that even with all my walking in the second half, I kept my pace under 13 minute miles. Score! I took a gel at miles 3, 6, 9 & 12 and that really worked. I didn’t have to ration my water too much because I was planning to stop by the house. I can honestly say that these 13.1 miles were easier than the 11 I ran two weeks ago. I still fight the wall and am learning to push through and keep my mind focused. Someday I will conquer the mental battle and keep on pushing on and only walk when my timer beeps.

Tomorrow I will go for a short walk. Rest on Wednesday and my legs will hopefully be ready for 10 x 800 on Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed my body holds out.

It’s a great day for running y’all!


2 comments:

  1. I dont think because you run a 2:30 you are slow, you might not be the fastest but by goodness you run and anytime is a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Courtney! I wish I was faster but I have to remember to stop comparing myself to others. It is a battle that I have fought (and lost) since I was an early teenager. I keep telling myself that it is a PR and that's awesome!

      Delete