Friday, May 25, 2012

First day of summer vacation: First attempt at swimming


The boys started asking me at 9:00 this morning when they could go to the pool. Each time I replied with an 11:00. You think they would figure it out, maybe remember that time, since I told it to them  (at least) 20 times between 9 and 11. They didn’t. Boy this is going to be a LONG summer! Since hubby went to work early and I was up late with N (he has recurrent bad dreams that cause major tears) I didn’t get up with my alarm to go for a run. I figured I could rest today since I had those sucktastic 5 miles yesterday. 

Hubby reminded me last night that I would be at the pool so I could use the kickboard to “swim” laps. That’s what I did today. At each adult swim, the kids got out and I got in. I think I had 4 repeats of 10 minutes. All I can say is, I have NO form. I was kicking and kicking but was not really moving anywhere. L used to take year round swimming lessons and he would do the same thing, kick with all his might to go nowhere. Poor kid, I now know where he gets it from! I need to have someone give me some pointers on this kicking thing. I am also going to pick up a pair of goggles for the boys and myself so I can learn how to swim with my face in the water. Some day I wan to work towards tris but I can’t do that without knowing how to swim. If all else fails, I’ll call G and ask her to explain how to slog and I’ll run in the pool.

Hope your day is delightful and full of miles! Happy Running y’all!

4 comments:

  1. Another sucky swimmer here. I grew up doing everything from ice skating to rugby but water and I are not friends. I can't stand the feeling of water in my face (and my nose) but it's a pretty essential life skill to have....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You are quite the athlete! My mom was afraid of the water, so the fact that I get into the pool is a big accomplishment. I hate having water in my face too! We have made our boys take year round swimming lessons for over 2 years to learn how to swim properly. I want them to be better swimmers than I am. I look forward to some day taking adult swim lessons myself. In the meantime, I'm going to try to teach myself. I even asked an elderly man who was swimming laps in the pool (during adult swim) for pointers.

      Delete
  2. I would love to do the kid swim adult swim switch up thing but I'm not sure my kids (2- 1st Graders and a Kindergartener) would sit patiently on the sides. Did your kids do okay the first time you did this? I think I need to brave up and at the least try with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen- I started hanging out more poolside last summer when my boys were pre-K and 1st grade. Now that they have completed K and 2nd, they are even older. I think your kids could handle it. I have them sit in the shade with their water and salty snack while I kick along. I have been blessed with two fabulously behaved little boys (did I just jinx myself today?!?) and they know that they are not supposed to to in the water during adult swim. The lifeguards have been informed that they can use more time outs if children disobey and I have relayed that message on to my boys. I say go for it! You never know until you try and it is good for the kids to learn how to be more independent and responsible, they might surprise you!

      Delete