Friday, February 3, 2012

11 Miles and the Dreaded Wall

Yesterday I ran 11 miles. My goal was to run it in two hours or less. Last time I ran 11 miles (training for the ATL half) I ran it in two hours, ten minutes and twenty-nine seconds. I wanted to beat that time. I fueled properly all day Wednesday. I carbo loaded, I drank water like it was going out of style. Last time I met 11 miles, it chewed me up and spit me out. I realized after the run it was due to improper fueling the day before and during. I wasn’t going to let that happen again. I knew what I was getting into and I was going to CRUSH 11 miles.

I missed my time goal by two minutes and nine seconds. CRAP! I was solid the first nine and half miles. It was EPIC. I was strong, I hit the high at nine miles (why does that take so long??!!??). I was grooving. Then I hit 10 miles. I am not sure what it is about double digits, but every time I get there, the wheels come off. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I had a game plan for this run. I fueled with gels at miles three and six and had half of a honey stinger (I ran out of gels at home) at mile nine. I had two flasks of nuun. Looking back, I realize that I need MORE gels in the house. I like the idea of taking them every three miles, which is what works for my body. I need to pick up a Nathan Speed 4 to replace my Speed 2. I need to bring two flasks of nuun AND two flasks of water. Regardless of my hydration, I will still battle the notorious ten miles.

I asked a good friend of mine on FB about this double-digit issue. He’s an ultra runner, my ultimate running hero; I aspire to run like him some day. I view him as the Yoda of running. His reply was:

that's why they call it training. 10 is your "wall" now. Think back to when you started running, when did the wheels fall off, much sooner?

Keep up the hard work and you'll learn about what your body needs to run efficiently through any wall, sans wheels. Soon enough you'll be busting out an easy ten for a recovery run. :-)

Endurance and muscle memory are earned through miles and miles. No short cuts.

The WALL. That’s what it’s all about. Facing the wall. Beating the wall. Tearing down the wall. (humming Pink Floyd). He’s right. When I started running, 10k was hard for me. Now that wall has moved to 10 miles. Practice makes perfect. I look forward to 10 miles being my “easy” recovery run, someday. That is what I love about running. Each and every day I face challenges that I can conquer, goals that can be met and crushed and then setting new goals. Running makes me determined, focused, and strong. I love it!

Today is a day of rest. Hubby has the day off and we’ll go for a short 2-3 mile hike with the boys after school. Not an extreme hike like last time, just an easy family hike. I hope you all have a fabulous weekend, get out and move!

Happy running y’all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment