Sunday, January 1, 2012

Race Recap and Happy New Year

Happy New Year! I know you're asking yourself, how did the New Year's 5k go? As it turns out, I was a DNS. After that excessive whining in my last post, I marched my butt down to the doctor and found out I had a double infection (hence the whining) and was put on antibiotics. These are some strong meds and the side affects do not go with running, even just a 5k. So I decided to listen to my body, and skip the virtual race. J also got called into work early so it would have been tight (that's what she said!) squeezing in a run before he left. I have been sleeping the days away and it feels good! The lesson of 2011 was listen to my body. I'm glad to say that I did.

2012 started with sleeping in. How am I going to get going early enough to get the boys to school? I'm glad that I have nine more days to figure it out! I am excited for my New Years' meal tonight: Hoppin' John, Greens and Cornbread. No, I am not a Southerner. BUT I have lived here for four years and I now cook my greens almost as good as a true Southerner--or so a Southern friend has told me!!! Maybe she was just being nice? It is tradition to eat black eyed peas, greens and cornbread on New Years' Day. They represent happiness, health and prosperity and it tastes good!

My 2012 Goals:
Run 1,000 miles this year. I ran 507.42 last year. I struggled with injuries due to switching my shoes around and trying to figure out this whole "running" thing. My runiversary is January, and I am two years in! I think that 1,000 miles is attainable this year. That's only 20.84 miles a week.
Run another race. Unfortunately, my hubby's crazy work schedule (the restaurant industry is not family friendly) is unpredictable and my family is over 3,000 miles away so I can't count on childcare. Ideally, I'd like to run the Atlanta Half again on Thanksgiving Day. The restaurant is closed that day so I know that J will be off, but the training took a lot of time away from the family. I'd like to crush a 10k. I'm leaning towards that distance and we'll see how it goes. I do dream of meeting the ATL Half again and crushing it. Maybe I'll be able to hit a 5k, 10k and 1/2 this year? I know that I will hit these distances on my own, but the whole race day logistics are hard for me to figure out considering our "situation".
Pay off our next debt on our snowball. Since I'm new to blogging, you don't know how BIG of Dave Ramsey fans J and I are. We have been working our debt snowball since July 2009. It took us six months to figure out what we were doing and stop hemorrhaging money. In that time frame, we had two surgeries in the family and one car accident. In January 2010 it all clicked, we took FPU and became true gazelles! We have paid off five of the seven debts on our snowball. We have two more to go. I know we will pay one off in 2012 and the last one will go in early 2013. Culinary school was very expensive!

Happy New Year to you and yours! May 2012 bring you health, happiness and prosperity!

1 comment:

  1. looks like you have a great plan in 2012, much luck to you and I hope you get a better schedule setup so you can run. Its hard with family and crazy work schedules.

    ReplyDelete